In 2010, 2015 and 2018 a number of environmental assessments were completed along the West Calgary Ring Road (WCRR ) alignment.
- Vegetation and rare plants: No rare plant species have been identified
- Wildlife: Various bird species including owls, raptors and songbirds have been identified
- Aquatics: Four unnamed watercourses (streams) cross the WCRR alignment
- Wetlands: 11 wetlands could potentially be impacted by the WCRR
To reduce the impact on wildlife, including migratory and non-migratory birds, the North project area was pre-cleared in Winter 2019 to avoid the breeding window and avoid impacts to nesting birds. Similar pre-clearing can be expected on the South project in Winter 2020.
The contractor is required to develop an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System which includes:
- Environmental Construction Operation (ECO) Plans
- Dust Management Plans
- Noise Management Plans
- Contamination Management Plans
The contractor is also responsible for all environmental applications and approvals, including those for wetlands, stormwater management, watercourse crossings, pits and surface materials (gravel) and others as applicable.