Here’s a snapshot of what’s happening on the project. If you’d like a bird’s eye view, check out this video.
We understand construction on a project of this magnitude is challenging. Thank you for your understanding while we finish the Calgary Ring Road. With the opening of the WCRR in 2022, Calgary will have 100 km of free-flowing travel around the city, improving access to hospitals, schools, jobs and recreation and reducing congestion.
Bow River Bridge Twinning
- The first layer of asphalt has been placed on all new roadways (Crowchild Trail to Scenic Acres Link NW). Topsoil replacement along the new roadways is underway.
- Two tower cranes have been installed on the north side of the Bow River to lift materials for bridge construction.
- Pile driving for the north bridge abutment is underway.
- Rough grading for three new stormponds is complete and stormpipe installation is underway.
- Over the next several months there will be changes to the Bow River Pathway in the project area, including a full closure for approximately one month in early 2020.
North Project (Trans-Canada Highway to Old Banff Coach Road SW)
- Utility installations south of Valley Ridge are nearing completion.
- Piling is ongoing for the 20 bridges required for the Valley Ridge Blvd NW and Stoney Trail interchanges. The piling for the bridge immediately south of Valley Brook Circle NW is complete.
- Bedrock excavation using controlled blasting is underway on the Paskapoo Slope west of WinSport and Cougar Ridge.
- The speed limit on the Trans-Canada Highway has been reduced to 60 km / hour between Valley Ridge Blvd NW and Bowfort Road NW.
- Alberta Transportation has approved haul trucks to work overnight to move dirt on the south side of the Trans-Canada Highway between the future Crestmont Blvd NW road alignment and Stoney Trail. This optimizes traffic flow during the day and allows haul trucks to take the shortest, most efficient route across the Stoney Trail northbound ramp to the future interchange bridge locations while minimizing impacts to the public.
South Project (Old Banff Coach Road SW to Highway 8)
- Utility relocations along Old Banff Coach Road SW are progressing and anticipated to be complete in early 2020.
- The contract for the South Project will be awarded in late March and construction will begin this Spring.
- In preparation for the start of construction on the south segment this spring, some trees and brush are being cleared from within the footprint of the Transportation / Utility Corridor in early 2020.
Thank you for your patience during construction.